This charred romain is dressed in a simple balsamic dressing and loaded with smokey seed clusters, blue cheese crumbles (from our favorite cheese maker!) thinly sliced radishes and minced parsley. Simple, delicious and filling to boot!
- 2 large heads of romaine lettuce, halved lengthwise, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 2-3 tablespoons minced parsley
Smoky seed clusters
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure cane sugar
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- coarse salt and ground pepper to taste
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat.
- In a medium sized skillet toast the sunflower and pumpkin seeds over medium heat, shaking the pan often, until the seeds are golden brown. About 3 minutes. Pour the seeds out onto a plate and toss with the paprika, cayenne and salt.
- Place the pan that previously toasted the seeds back on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the sugar and once the sugar has liquified (this wont take long!) add the seeds, tossing to coat them in the melted sugar. Do this quickly as you don’t want the sugar to burn. Remove from the heat and transfer the seeds to a plate to cool. Once cool enough to handle break the seeds apart into small clusters.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the salad dressing and set aside.
- Toss the sliced romaine wedges with the 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place cut side down on the preheated grill and cook until lightly charred on the underside. About 3-5 minutes. Flip and cook for about 3-5 minutes longer on the opposite side or until lightly charred.
- Dived the romaine wedges between plates and top with the thinly sliced radishes, blue cheese, minced parsley. Drizzle with the dressing and top the wedges with the smokey seed clusters.