Brown bread sandwiches with ham and a firey mustard and horseradish butter in it to give a real bite. Perfect for afternoon tea or picnics. It’s hard to beat a well-made sandwich and they are a very cheap way to feed your whole family. You might also like the recipe for our coronation-style chicken sandwiches which can be seen in the photo above. For a picnic that pulls out all the stops we recommend packing a selection of sandwiches and cutting them into triangles so that you can mix-and-match!
- 100g (3½oz) butter, softened
- 2tbsp coarse-grain mustard
- 1tbsp hot horseradish
- 6 slices brown bread
- 175g (6oz) wafer-thin ham
- 1 punnet salad cress
- Beat together the butter, mustard and horseradish.
- Spread over the bread. Fill with ham, add cress, and sandwich together.
- Cut off crusts and cut sandwiches into quarters.