10 Beets / 10 Carrots / 12 Easy to Grow Herbs / 12 Radishes / 12 Rare Sweet & Mild Peppers / 13 Unique Super Hot Peppers / 14 Salsa Mix / 14 Sweet & Hot Peppers / 14 Tomato & Tomatillo / 15 Lettuce & Salad Greens / 15 Medicinal and Tea Herbs / 18 Culinary Herbs / 20 Most Popular Vegetables / 25 Summer Vegetables / 25 The Best Winter Vegetables / 7 Basils Collection / 7 Lettuce / 8 Onions
Mache lettuce is also known as lamb lettuce, corn lettuce, Swiss lettuce and field lettuce. It is very delicate in taste and grows in little clusters with short stems. It goes wonderfully with avocados and oranges .
- 4 medium navel or Valencia oranges
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. minced red onion
- 1 Tbs. red-wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 5 oz. mâche (about 6 loosely packed cups)
- Finely grate 1 tsp. zest from one of the oranges and put in a large bowl. Using a sharp knife, trim off the peel and white pith from the oranges and cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick.
- Squeeze two or three orange slices over a small bowl to yield 1 Tbs. juice; add the juice to the zest along with the olive oil, onion, and vinegar. Whisk to blend and season to taste with salt and pepper. Arrange the remaining orange slices and the avocado slices to one side of 6 salad plates.
- Toss the mâche with the dressing, season to taste with salt and pepper, and mound next to the oranges and avocados.