One of my favorite days of the week is when my NYT “What to Cook Right Now” subscription hits my inbox. When this recipe for Roasted Carrots with Cilantro Yogurt and Peanuts popped up I knew I had to make it. Not only did I have everything on hand, but I was looking for a simple side dish to bring to a neighbors house for a backyard BBQ and this was just the ticket. Between the tangy yogurt, tart lime juice, and sweet carrots the flavor combination was spot on. Topped with salted peanuts and a few toasted sesame seeds for good measure and this side dish was a home run. It tasted great alongside grilled chicken but this could even be bulked up enough and turned into a complete meal if you served the whole thing on top of a bowl of grains (think farro, quinoa or rice). Regardless of how you choose to serve this I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised that such simple flavors can be so damn delicious. Grab a fork, call over the neighbors, and enjoy a simple meal together.
- 1 ½ pounds medium carrots, halved lengthwise if large and thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
For the yogurt:
- 1 cup whole milk goat yogurt (or Greek style yogurt)
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, (about 1/2 lime), plus more for serving
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- ¼ cup roughly chopped roasted, salted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- 3 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced, green parts only
- Flaky salt, for serving
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, toss the carrots with the olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper, add the coriander, and toss the mixture to evenly coat. Place the carrots on a rimmed baking sheet and roast, flipping about halfway through, until the carrots are golden brown and tender, about 35 to 45 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, cilantro, ground coriander, lime juice and crushed pepper flakes. Stir well to combine and add salt to taste.
- Spread the yogurt on the bottom of a plate or platter and arrange roasted carrots on top. Scatter peanuts, sesame seeds and scallions on top, and finish with flaky salt and a squeeze of lime juice.