If you’re looking for an impressive weeknight dinner that will wow your family but is a breeze to prepare than this is the recipe for you! I love the simplicity and ease of roasting a whole chicken. Not only will your house smell amazing while this baby slowly cooks, but you’ll have plenty of time to unwind from your day with a glass of wine while this one pot meal does all the work. With warming spices, tangy lemon, lots of garlic and sweet carrots this meal has it all. I hope you all enjoy this delicious chicken as much as we do. It’s definitely going into the rotation here at the farm for the remainder of the winter. Those Moroccan spices will warm you bones and the tender and juicy chicken will knock your socks off!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil + additional to drizzle the carrots with
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ras-el-hanout (see note)
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 whole free range chicken, about 4 1/2–5 pounds
- 2 small whole lemons, pierced all over with a fork
- 6 cloves of garlic (unpeeled)
- 1 small bunch of carrots, about 5 carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Using a small food processor or blender, combine 3 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, spices, salt, lemon peel, pepper and garlic until a smooth paste forms.
- Remove the neck, giblets and excess fat from the cavity of the chicken. Rinse the chicken inside and out and pat dry with paper towels. Using your hands rub about 1/3 of the spice mixture into the main cavity and neck cavity of the chicken. Then rub the remaining spice all over, including underneath the skin (being gentle not to rip the skin). Place the chicken in a deep roasting pan or cast iron skillet.
- Stuff the main cavity with the lemons and garlic cloves.
- Toss the chopped carrots with the about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Scatter the carrots around the chicken and place in the preheated oven. Roast for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and use tin foil to tent the pan (to prevent over browning). Continue to roast until an instant-read thermometer reads 170F in the thickest part of a thigh. About 45-50 minutes longer.
- Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before carving and serving