10 Beets / 10 Carrots / 12 Easy to Grow Herbs / 12 Radishes / 12 Rare Sweet & Mild Peppers / 13 Unique Super Hot Peppers / 14 Salsa Mix / 14 Sweet & Hot Peppers / 14 Tomato & Tomatillo / 15 Lettuce & Salad Greens / 15 Medicinal and Tea Herbs / 18 Culinary Herbs / 20 Most Popular Vegetables / 25 Summer Vegetables / 25 The Best Winter Vegetables / 7 Basils Collection / 7 Lettuce / 8 Onions
These spring rolls are a refreshing change from the usual fried variety, and have become a family favorite. They are great as a cool summertime appetizer, and are delicious dipped in one or both of the sauces.
- 2 ounces rice vermicelli
- 8 rice wrappers (8.5 inch diameter)
- 8 large cooked shrimp – peeled, deveined and cut in half
- 1 ⅓ tablespoons chopped fresh Thai basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 leaves lettuce, chopped
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped peanuts
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil. Boil rice vermicelli 3 to 5 minutes, or until al dente, and drain.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water. Dip one wrapper into the hot water for 1 second to soften. Lay wrapper flat. In a row across the center, place 2 shrimp halves, a handful of vermicelli, basil, mint, cilantro and lettuce, leaving about 2 inches uncovered on each side. Fold uncovered sides inward, then tightly roll the wrapper, beginning at the end with the lettuce. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix the fish sauce, water, lime juice, garlic, sugar and chili sauce.
- In another small bowl, mix the hoisin sauce and peanuts.
- Serve rolled spring rolls with the fish sauce and hoisin sauce mixtures.
- 12 Easy to Grow Herbs, 14 Salsa Mix, 15 Lettuce & Salad Greens, 15 Medicinal and Tea Herbs, 18 Culinary Herbs, 7 Lettuce