The best pepper steak recipe is easy to make, with marinated strips of flank steak, lots of peppers and flavorful sauce, better than any Chinese restaurant.
- 1 1/2 pound flank steak or use skirt steak
FOR THE MARINADE
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil or vegetable oil
FOR THE VEGETABLES and SEASONING
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 large green bell pepper sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers sliced (optional)
- 1 medium white onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
FOR THE PEPPER STEAK SAUCE
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or use honey
- 1 teaspoon paprika or use cayenne for more heat
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Thinly slice the steak against the grain to bite sized pieces and add them to a bowl with the soy sauce, rice vinegar and oil. Toss to coat and cover. Marinate in the refrigerator at least 10 minutes. You can marinate longer if you’d like, even overnight.
- Heat the sesame oil and vegetable oil in a large pan and add the peppers and onions. Cook them down for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook another minute, stirring, until you can smell that gorgeous garlic. Remove from heat and set the vegetables into a bowl. Save the oil in the pan.
- Heat the same pan to high heat and add the steak. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, until cooked to your liking.
- Add the cooked vegetables into the pan and stir.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients (soy sauce, vinegar, corn starch, brown sugar or honey, paprika and black pepper) until well combined. Stir the sauce into the pepper steak and heat, stirring, until it thickens in the pan, about 1 minute.
- Serve! I serve mine over rice with chili flakes and scallions.