This recipe is also a fun way to get some zesty mustard greens into your diet. Mustard greens are a lovely spring vegetable and I add them to salads, stir fries and they make a great pesto.
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 cup (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups whole spelt flour or wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- unbleached white flour for rolling
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- butter or oil if needed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- hefty pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 stalks green garlic, minced (or 3 cloves of garlic)
- 3-4 small Japanese turnips, greens removed and saved for another use
- 1 bunch of mustard greens, roughly chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cream
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 4-6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Prepare the crust. The night before you plan on making your pot pie, prepare the dough. Cream together the yogurt and butter. Blend in the flour and salt. Cover with a dish towel and leave in a warm spot in your kitchen for 12-24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out your dough into approximately a 12-inch round. Place the dough in a lightly oiled 9-inch pie plate. Fold the overhand under and crimp the edges. Place a sheet of parchment paper over the dough and cover with pie weights or dried beans. Pre-bake the pie crust for 10 minutes.
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat cook the sausage. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat a bit and cook until lightly browned and not longer pink. About 5-7 minutes. With a slotted spoon remove the meat to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Add a touch of butter or oil to the pan (if it’s too dry) add the onion, salt and thyme and cook over medium-high heat until soften and lightly browned. Add the green garlic and turnips. Cook until the veggies are softened and fragrant about 5 minutes. Add the sausage back to the pan along with the chopped mustard greens and cook a few minutes longer until the greens wilt a bit and the mixture is well combined. Remove from the heat and scoop the filling into the prepared pie curst.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together the eggs and cream with a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour the eggs over the meat/veggie mixture and sprinkle with the cheese. Place in the oven and bake until the eggs are just set, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.