This isn’t so much of a recipe but is more of a method. The carrots are tossed with a little oil, spices and roasted in the oven until caramelized and sweet. I served them over some really tasty lentils that only require a few ingredients. A scoop of yogurt, a squeeze of lemon juice and viola! Simplicity at it’s best. After a day of testing/tasting a lot of recipes this simple meal was seriously amazing. Don’t be fooled by how basic it is, there’s a ton of flavor and minimal effort. Major win!
- 1 pound carrots, scrubbed clean and sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- sprinkle of salt
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, cut into 2-3 large chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- Yogurt for serving
- Fresh lemon juice for serving
- salt + pepper for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Toss the carrots with the oil and spices. Place on a prepared baking sheet in a single layer and roast until tender and golden. About 25-30 minutes. Flip carrots halfway through cooking.
- Rinse the lentils and discard any pebbles. Place the lentils in a pot with the garlic, onion, bay leaf and a pinch of salt. Cover with cold water by 1 inch or so. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered until tender. About 25-30 minutes. Add more water if necessary while cooking.
- Discard the garlic, onion and bay leaf from the lentils. Divide lentils between plates and top with the roasted carrots, a scoop of plain yogurt, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and salt + pepper to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.