If you’re looking for a quick, simple soup to prepare with all of your CSA turnips this is the soup for you! This has quickly become a household favorite and we’ve made it 3 times since mid April when the first of the turnips were available at the farm. Aside from the time it takes to quick pickled your eggs (you can also do that in advance) this soup comes together in 30 minutes. It’s spicy, brothy, and the perfect light soup for a warm spring evening. I hope you all are able to grab turnips at your local farmers market or in your next CSA box. And don’t forget to keep those greens on your turnips!! They’re used in this recipe. However, if you can’t fine young turnips with their greens attached you can substitute with another green such as bok choy, spinach, chard, mustard greens or even kale. Have fun with this recipe and enjoy the simple flavors of spring!
Soy Pickled Eggs
- 4 eggs
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- hefty pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 stalks of green garlic, finely chopped (white and pale green parts only) or garlic cloves
- 1 small bunch of turnips with their greens, turnips cut into 1/2 inch chunks and greens roughly chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce + additional to taste
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons kraut-chi or kimchi
- 1 tablespoon fermented chili paste
- Gently lower eggs into a large saucepan of boiling water. Cook 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl of ice water and let cool until you can easily handle them. Peel the eggs and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring garlic, pepper flakes, soy sauce, vinegar and 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium size saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the eggs. Let the eggs marinate in the mixture for at least one hour or in the fridge overnight.
- Mix the pork, ginger, red pepper flakes, cumin, salt and pepper in a large bowl until combined.
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat. Add the green garlic and cook for about 1 minute, stirring often. Add the pork and use a wooden spoon to break up the meat a bit and cook until lightly browned and no longer pink. About 5-7 minutes. Add the water, turnips (reserving the greens for later) and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the turnips are fork tender, about 10 minutes. Add the turnip greens, soy sauce and fish sauce and give the pot a good stir. Simmer for about 5 minutes longer to let the flavors meld. Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed.
- Serve the soup topped with the quick pickled eggs and garnish with fermented chili past and kimchi if desired.