10 Beets / 10 Carrots / 12 Easy to Grow Herbs / 12 Radishes / 12 Rare Sweet & Mild Peppers / 13 Unique Super Hot Peppers / 14 Salsa Mix / 14 Sweet & Hot Peppers / 14 Tomato & Tomatillo / 15 Lettuce & Salad Greens / 15 Medicinal and Tea Herbs / 18 Culinary Herbs / 20 Most Popular Vegetables / 25 Summer Vegetables / 25 The Best Winter Vegetables / 7 Basils Collection / 7 Lettuce / 8 Onions
This is an awesome recipe for banana peppers stuffed with an Italian sausage mixture and baked in a delicious tomato sauce.
- 8 banana peppers
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 ½ cups bread crumbs
- Cut off tops of peppers, and remove ribs and seeds. Chop edible portions of tops; set aside. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add peppers, reduce heat, and simmer until tender but still firm, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat butter in a medium skillet. Saute reserved chopped pepper, onion and celery until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and garlic. Season with basil, oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine egg, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, Worcestershire sauce and Parmesan. Mix in hot sausage, mild sausage, bread crumbs and 1 cup of the tomato sauce mixture.
- Using a piping bag or sausage stuffer, fill each pepper with the meat mixture. Place in a 3 quart casserole dish, and pour remaining tomato sauce mixture over peppers.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 1 hour.
- 12 Easy to Grow Herbs, 12 Rare Sweet & Mild Peppers, 15 Medicinal and Tea Herbs, 18 Culinary Herbs, 20 Most Popular Vegetables, 8 Onions