This chicken fajitas recipe always makes the most tender, juicy, flavorful chicken fajitas that are loaded with flavor, and it is so easy to make!
FOR THE CHICKEN FAJITA MARINADE
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika or use sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ancho powder also try guajillo powder – or more to taste – I often use 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and black pepper to taste I use 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Chili flakes to taste
FOR THE CHICKEN FAJITAS
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large bell peppers sliced (use colorful bells – red, yellow, orange, or green)
- 2 jalapeno peppers sliced (optional, for spicier chicken fajitas – use green bell pepper for milder fajitas)
- 1 large onion sliced
- 12 flour tortillas warmed – you can use corn tortillas if you’d prefer
- Fixings as Desired. Chopped tomatoes, pico de gallo, homemade guacamole or avocado slices, hot sauce, shredded cheese, spicy chili flakes, fresh chopped cilantro. Use your favorites.
- Whisk all of the fajita marinade ingredients together in a large bowl until consistent.
- Add sliced chicken and marinate at least 5 minutes. A minimum of 30 minutes is preferred. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator, covered, for more developed flavor.
- Heat a large cast iron pan to medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add the chicken with the marinade and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pan if needed and add the peppers and onions. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring here and there, until the peppers and onions are caramelized and softened.
- Return the chicken to the pan and heat through.
- Serve on warmed tortillas and top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!